Roadtrip #2: Wave Rock and a very salty lake

After the fiasco (note: FUN fiasco) at the old power station we went to pick up the ultimate vehicle for an impending roadtrip, this time we decided to drive 343 km each way to see a rock...

So, the vehicle we rented was the car of dreams. Picture it: white, half broken, rusty, unlockable, a little scrubby inside, an incredible sound system and speed, ladies and gents - this was the boganmobile. Despite what it sounds like it was an incredible amount of fun as two of the lads, a fellow lass, and myself bombed it down the roads to our destination, an eskie in the back full to the brim of alcohol - thank you.

We made a few stop offs along the way, the purchase of more beer since we realised that we would run out very soon (and my idea of taking "just a bottle of wine" wasn't going to be sufficient since it was passed around the car and was soon depleted - doh - another bright idea Rachel).

A lot of beer later, a few bottles of wine, and a load of great tunes later we arrived at said destination - Wave Rock. It's all part of the Hyden National Park so we parked up, got ourselves settled, popped a few beers into the bag (ahem, my bag), slapped on some sunscreen since the Aussie sun is blisteringly hot, and made the short trek to the rock itself. 

Typically as a pretty large group of backpackers, we took some silly photos on the rocks.

The rock stands approximately 14m high and is around 110m long. After my little accident off the cliffs at just 8m high the thought of falling off terrified me (granted, the cliff jump was into a stretch of water) but I edged my way to the edge of the wave 'peak' anyway and sat watching the world go by. 

After a little walk down the side (so we could observe the rock from the base), we took the must-have photo of us surfing the rock plus a few group shots. The shape of the rock is incredible, carved over time by erosion (the rocks are used to channel water into a dam) and the wave like appearance occurs due to the algae growing on the face. 

Leaving the rock we knew we had to make tracks to get to the salt lake which was extremely close by - Lake Magic. I've never been to a salt lake before, at least I've never 'swam' in one. Lake Magic is a naturally occurring salt and gypsum (a soft sulphate material) lake. I can only describe walking into it like walking on a crème brulee, an odd analogy maybe but one that makes total sense in my head. The top of the sediment was very hard but thin, your weight cracks it and then you sink into this very fine, clay-like sediment. The water was extremely salty (kind of self explanatory there), and you float as if you were weightless. Just do not swallow or get this water in your eyes, it stings like nothing you've felt before and isn't very pleasant. A few of us developed little red bumps on our skin too (just minor irritation that's all) so if you've got sensitive skin I'd advise getting a shower ASAP.

In all honesty, unless you're with a big group of people or are doing the trip as part of something else (like the little salt lake we visited afterwards) I wouldn't recommend driving all that way unless you're going to take advantage of the hiking trail that we just didn't have time for... I guess it is a must see landmark but maybe see if a hostel is taking a trip there and take advantage of that, but it was an awful long way to go from Perth.



Post a Comment


Blogger news



Follow on Bloglovin